Monday, January 5, 2009

Our first ride with our sponsor

This past weekend we headed down to Saratoga for our last ride before the race in Preston on the 16th. Derek had talked to our sponsor Scott from ATI and he said that he and a group of buddies were either going to go riding that weekend in Steamboat or Saratoga, and that if they came up here that they would ride with us. We were both stoked because neither of us had met Scott in person at this point and we were really wanting to meet him. So we headed down to Toga early Friday morning, fighting 60mph winds the whole time of course. I must say, I am impressed by our trailer for the most part (other than the habitual flat tire). I think we were both a little worried about it blowing over in high winds, as that is quite common here, but we have had great luck....knock on wood. Anyway, we headed out, made it to 'Toga with no problems and checked into our room at the Hacienda. After fueling up, checking in and picking up a few supplies at the grocery store, we headed up the mountain. Once we got up to our usual parking lot, we realized that riding conditions were going to be quite different than they were the last time we rode. Gone was the fluffy, beautiful powder. In it's place we found hard tracks and wind blown terrain. Actually I think this is the worst I have ever seen the Snowy's, but in it's defense, the annual Search and Rescue Poker Run was held on the 1st so I'm thinkin that contributed to the poor riding conditions quite a bit. We headed out, Derek on the Assault, me on my old '04 Edge. We took off from the trailhead and boondocked into some pretty nice meadows that hadn't been slain which was suprising. I must say, as much as I enjoy riding the Assault, my Edge still kicks ass! So we played around a little bit, boondocked some more and then headed back to the truck disappointed about snow conditions and hoping that they improved before everyone showed up . After heading down the hill, we went to the Wolf and had some awesome burgers and then back to the hotel for a good nights rest.


The next morning, we awoke to about 2 new inches of snow in town so immediately things were looking up. We met with Scott and his friends Dustin and Cory as well as two of Dustin's employees for breakfast. After a delicious breakfast courtesy of Scott, we all headed up the mountain and to our surprise/joy there was about 4-6 inches of fresh snow. Not quite as nice as a dump of 2 feet would have been, but improved conditions for sure! We met with the owners of Sid's welding and some of their friends/family as well as one of Derek's co-worker/Scott's brother in-law and quickly our riding group had grown to 12. We took off down the trail (hwy 130) and found a few nice drainages to play in. In the first drainage, I was trying to carve to the right on the Assault, and with only a few new inches of snow, my track hooked up and threw me off balance, pinning my shoulder into the throttle. Well, I was headed straight for a small tree so luckily I grabbed the brake just in time to slow it down, however I still managed to gently bump into said tree. Of course everyone just had to be right there, including Scott. I'm quietly cursing myself as they are getting the sled pulled backwards from the tree and getting it turned around. Way to show 'em you can ride! So embarrassing. Anyway, we tore that meadow up and headed to another where we stayed and played for quite awhile. Around 1 the group from Sid's had to head back to the Casper for the Biker Ball, so our group was reduced to 8. Some of the guys decided they wanted to head to the lodge on the Laramie side of the Snowy Range so we all headed out on the highway in search of some grub. We came to an area where there was a restroom by Sugarloaf mountain and there was a pretty large hill that people were climbing. Of course Derek had to try it and I'm thinkin, "hmmm, wonder if I should climb it too?" I decided against it, at least for now. So we continued on, over the top where the wind was blowing violently and finally made it to the lodge. After everyone filled their bellies, we headed back the way we came. When we were going over the top, the wind and snow were blowing so bad that I couldn't even see the sled in front of me, and I could have sworn that the wind was pushing my sled to the side. After dropping back down to Sugar Loaf, we stopped again at the hill. Derek's climbing it, as well as Cory and Scott. So I'm thinking, "damn thats a big hill, but I am sponsored for hillclimbing, probably should climb it eh?" So I jump on the Assault and go tearin across the meadow and start up the hill. As I'm going up I'm thinking to myself, "this isn't so bad, heck I think I'm gaining speed!" All was great until it was time to turn around and come right back down the steep sucker. Well there was no other way to get around it, so I picked what I thought was the best line and went for it. Let me tell ya, going down the steep hill was A LOT worse than going up. Luckily, it was shaped like a big funnel and so I just hung on for the ride since there was really no sense in me trying to steer or brake since neither was going to do me any good. So it spit me out the bottom unharmed and in an adrenaline rush, but I was feeling pretty cool for climbing a hill that some guys wouldn't even climb! Anyway, we continued back, playing here and there until it was becoming dark and everyone was exhausted. After loading up, we headed into town with plans for drinks and dinner. Derek and I met Scott, Dustin and Cory at the bar in the Saratoga Inn for a few drinks and then Dustin treated us to a delicious dinner. After dinner Scott brought us each a bag full of cool things like hats, flashlights, knives, mugs, etc, all with the ATI logo on them, which I was excited about because they are all just more ways to advertise for such a cool sponsor. After dinner, we gathered by the fire in the lodge for another round of drinks and stories. What a cool group of guys we met. We enjoyed hanging with all three a lot.


The next morning everyone had to head home so we met the guys for breakfast again before they hit the road. After breakfast, Derek and I headed back up the mountain for another short ride before heading home. We went to some of our favorite spots to hit some jumps, but the base under the new powder was still pretty hard so we wrapped it up after a few hours and started to drive back to Casper.

Every day that goes by means it is that much closer to race time, and it gets my blood pumping. I am so nervous, but so excited at the same time. I just can't wait to see what the future holds for us. Derek picked up our jerseys from Jim at High Country Graphics, and if we could win just based on our jerseys, I think we would take it. He did an incredible job!! All of our sponsor logos should be on the trailer by the middle of next week, just in time for the trip to Preston. There is still a lot to do, but everything really seems to be coming together. I'm sure there will be things we will forget the first race, but that is to be expected the first time you try anything new. Well I think that's a long enough post for now. :) The next time you hear from us it will be after our races, so wish us luck!






No comments: